- Boosts & Supplements
- French Press Coffee
- Herbal & Black Teas
- Hot Chocolate
- Raw Bites
- Vosges Chocolates
At Bedlam we believe in healthy living and access to one’s innate sense of health. That’s why we decided to put a juice/smoothie bar in a bookstore. The information and awareness you feel in your own body from the foods/drinks you ingest, is just as important as the information and awareness you glean from the pages of a good book. Body and mind are one. It’s the western world that has split them. So we wanna create a little revolution and help you put them back together again.
We support local farms, use organic and/or sustainably/ethically grown produce, and are also committed to using methods that reduce our waste. See our FAQS page for more information about these terms and the green methods we employ. The purity/healthfulness of the ingredients you put into your body matters. We believe in eating/drinking the rainbow!
Our list of juices/smoothies is an evolving thing, with seasonal drinks and specials. So please come by and check us out in person!
We offer the following fresh juices, made to order, on a seasonal basis.
- Alice Walker’s Garden apple (L, I), lemon (O), ginger (O), açaí powder (O)
- Anne Sexton’s Bedlam carrot (O, L), apple (L, I), ginger (O)
- Diane DiPrima’s Revolutionary Beets beets (O, L), carrot (O, L), apple (L, I), ginger (O)
- Ginger Shots ginger (O), raw honey (L)
- Grapefruit Juice Mocktail ruby red grapefruit (O), housemade rose/lavender simple syrup (O), Polar seltzer (L)
Key: O = Organic L = Local I = Integrated Pest Management (IPM)
- Audre Lorde (O, VG) soy milk, banana, strawberries, blueberries
- Haruki Murakami
- Moon 1 (O, VG) almond milk, banana, cashews, date paste, maca powder, cardamom
- Moon 2 (O, V) soy milk, strawberry, banana, ginger, date paste, raw honey (L), cacao, cinnamon, cayenne
- Pablo Neruda (O, V) soy milk, mango, date paste, coconut flour, turmeric root, ginger root, raw honey (L), vanilla
- Special 💜Beets Smoothie (O, V) fresh housemade beet juice (L), soy milk, strawberries, banana, cashews, coconut flour, açaí powder, vanilla, topped with cacao nibs (available thru February!)
Key: O = Organic L = Local V = Vegetarian VG = Vegan
Boost yourself by adding a supplement to your juice or smoothie! We offer all organic:
- açaí powder a ground powder derived from a grape-like fruit that grows on palm trees in South America. It’s high in antioxidants, has cancer-fighting properties, and is good for skin and detoxification. Pregnant and nursing women should avoid.
- ashwagandha root powder a ground powder derived from a root similar to Chinese ginseng, it’s also known as the Indian ginseng, and is used in Ayurvedic Medicine for increased stamina, a calm mind, and to promote strength.
- chia seeds tiny little black seeds that lower the risk of heart disease, are high in fiber, protein, and omega-3s.
- hemp seeds this slightly nutty flavored seed comes from the Hemp plant and is high in protein and heart-healthy omega-3s.
- maca powder a ground powder derived from the maca root that grows in the Peruvian Andes. It’s good for stamina, increased energy, balancing of hormones (such as for menopause hot flashes) and sexual potency.
- spirulina powder a ground blue-green algae bacteria that packs a true superfood punch with anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, high protein, essential amino acids, and has cholesterol/blood sugar/blood pressure-lowering properties.
- turmeric root is a root that originates in India. It contains curcumin, which is a powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory. It’s also good for digestion.
French Press Coffee
We’re proud to get our coffee from Coffee By Design, a New England craft roaster located in Portland, ME who’s been voted roaster of the year for 2020 by Roast Magazine. We’re fans of great-tasting coffees that aren’t sour or bitter, opting for velvety mouth feel and rich aromas. Coffee By Design fits this bill. We get our whole beans from them and grind them fresh right before serving them in 20 oz. French Presses. We offer:
- Ethiopia Limu Kossa Estate Vienna (Caramel + Peach + Honey) a 100% organic medium roast washed coffee from the high elevations of Ethiopia’s Limu region.
- Organic Girl Blend Dark Roast (Earthy + Chocolate + Full-Bodied) a 100% organic full-bodied dark roast with a deep and earthy finish using organic beans from Indonesia and Central America
Herbal and Black Teas
- Russian Caravan a blend of the finest India, China, and Formosa black teas from Upton Tea Imports. Your classic black tea good for anytime of the day.
- Kick It a lovely blend of elderberry, elderflower, ginger, spilanthes, and thyme from Radia Herbs. Good for revving up your energy.
- Feed Your Nerves a visually gorgeous blend of nettle, oatstraw, lemon balm, rose, and tulsi from Radia Herbs. Good for helping ease anxiety and nervousness.
- Black Rose a beautiful blend of English Breakfast Tea and dried rose petals from Radia Herbs. A good way to start your day.
- Chamomile Peppermint a balanced blend of chamomile and peppermint from Radia Herbs. A good nighttime beverage.
- Moroccan Mint Iced Tea available from April thru September, this blend of green tea and dried mint from Upton Tea Imports, made with honey, and fresh mint sprigs, is just the drink you need to keep you cool.
- Hibiscus Iced Tea available from June thru September, this summer blend of herbs from Radia Herbs includes hawthorn, hibiscus, lemon balm, linden, marshmallow, and rose, and is fruity, tart and delicious, served with fresh mint sprigs.
P.S. We love Radia Herbs products so much that we also carry her artisanally-crafted lip balms made with the same amazing herbs.
Special Hot Chocolate
We’re offering a special Hot Chocolate through the holidays! We use Silly Cow Cocoa Powder, a blend of Soy Mylk and Coconut Mylk, and we serve it up with your choice of dairy or non-dairy whipped cream, with a ginger syrup drizzled on top. YUM!
Few things make us as giddy as a good cup of chai. Truly, finding a great cup of this lovely spiced concoction has been a personal lifelong quest. And I’m happy to say that we now carry the BEST kind of chai I’ve ever had – Chai-Wallah 100% organic chai made locally in Guilflord, VT. We mix their chai with organic soy milk, Russian Caravan tea from Upton Tea Imports, and organic cane sugar. And then we serve it with love.
Who says food that’s good for you has to taste bad?! We offer wholesome, raw bites, many of them packed with superfoods, for you to snack on while you’re visiting Bedlam or grab-and-go. We also offer periodic dessert specials that are raw. So keep an eye out for new delights.
- protein energy bites (O, GF, V): oats, peanut butter, honey, chia seeds, chocolate chips, vanilla, and blend of chai spices
- apple slices & almond butter (O) slate with dollops of honey (O) & a bit of cinnamon (O)
We also sell a variety of Vosges chocolate bars.
Key: O = Organic GF = Gluten Free L = Local V = Vegetarian VG = Vegan